Bickleigh Vale is the epitome of Edna Walling, where she not only designed the garden, but the houses also. Design elements of Bickleigh Vale include:
- a series of outside rooms.
- sensitivity to site – quite relaxed, informal and romantic.
- mass planting to frame the lawn that spreads through the garden, leading the eye.
- English cottage plants such as helabore, azalea, daphne, berberis, dogwood and viburnum.
- also Camelia’s and always a Wisteria Colonnade
- trees include oak, beech and birches.
- gateways and paths that link the cottages.
- birdbaths, stone walls and “Secret Rooms”
- …..and always a Wisteria Colonnade